<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Judy,
>
> Erickon's work extended its effectiveness into the group usually
> thought to be resistant to hypnosis.  I don't know what version you
> tried, but I think being human means that you have access to these
> states.  I don't know if anyone is resistant to the states
themselves.
> Inducing them is up to the skill of the hypnotist.  Being resistant
> induction is just another category in Erickson's system.  Many
people
> who are resistant to verbal hypnotic techniques find that physical
> techniques like massage put them into a hypnotic state.  If you have
> ever had a massage that the floaty state that makes the time fly by
is
> a version of a hypnotic state.

Yeah, I just don't tend to get into "floaty states."
Massage certainly doesn't do it.  I have beeen in
states where the time flies by, but as it happens,
they're states of intense, active concentration and
focus.

The only thing that produces "floaty states" for me
is chemicals (grass, years ago; heavy-duty pain
medication; nitrous oxide at the dentist).

For me, TM is neither a "floaty state" nor, of
course, one involving active concentration.  It's
a very *transparent* state, not something I get
lost in.

> Although I agree with your caution about being overly broad in the
> definition of hypnosis, I am not sure that is not the same as with
the
> definitions of the development of consciousness in traditional
> systems.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

  In my understanding of hypnosis, which is very influenced by
> Grinder and Bandler's view, our "usual" state of awareness can be
> summed up as the percentage of attention we pay to the various
sensory
> input, combined with our internal awareness of mental
pictures,talking
> to ourselves, and kinesthetic awareness of our bodies.  We have
habits
> of how we spend our awareness on each of these because there is a
> limit to how much we can pay attention to at one time.  But the
> activity continues outside our conscious mind, so we are still
getting
> sensory input while ignoring it consciously, as well as phrases and
> images that can run internally without our being conscious of them.
>
> With that long winded intro, I come to my understanding of what a
> hypnotic state is:  Any time we disrupt the ordinary percentages of
> what we pay attention to, and shift if from outward to inward,
> hypnotic conditions are present.  We become aware of input we were
> ignoring and begin to pay attention to the mind's subjective ability
> to generate detailed experience.

Then you go into a hypnotic state every time you
close your eyes, or even start daydreaming with
your eyes open.  This is exactly what I mean by
an overly broad definition.  To say that meditative
states are really hypnotic states no longer means
anything, because you've defined hypnosis in such a
way as to *include* meditative states.

> I know this is not definitive.  But is it useful to me.  If you have
> ever looked both ways in driving and not seen a car that was right
in
> front of you because you were internally directed, that negative
> hallucination is a symptom of trance.  To  imagine and plan our
> futures or be creative, we utilize these states every day.

Right, we use them every day.  So we've got "floaty"
states, and intense-focus states, and planning what
you're going to do tomorrow, and meditation, and
daydreaming, and closing the eyes, and just about
any state in which we're paying attention to some
things without paying attention to other things, which
is ultimately *only* state we can be in anyway, since
we can never be paying attention to everything all at
once.

You've just defined away any kind of distinctions
between these states.  They're all "hypnotic."  We're
all going around in hypnotic states all the time.

  But
> knowing their limits and uses seems important.  There are also ways
> enhance the state and I would propose that meditation is one of
them.
>  There are various depths of trance that can be achieved.  I don't
> mean "trance" as a pejorative although I understand that people
with a
> traditional model of understanding consciousness might see it that
way.

> After all that your point is well taken.  The physiological approach
> of differentiating states is still in its infancy, but may help in
the
> future.  Till then I think was are ALL winging it, combining our
words
> with our experiences.  I am enjoying the ride.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: