> The phenomena I am discussing would happen whether or
> not the teacher in question remained silent the entire
> time, and whether or not you acknowledged the person
> as any kind of "authority." It happens merely as a
> result of being in close proximity.

Curtis, just as a followup, remember who you're talking to,
Bozo the Clown. My "theories" are probably not worth the
frontal lobes they're imprinted on. I'm certainly not
trying to sell them to other clowns. :-)

However, one of the reasons I like this particular theory
is that it works equally well to explain the "high" or
inspiration one gets sometimes from being close to people
who are *not* spiritual teachers.

The genesis of my "recognition theory" was an evening spent
at one of the Lannan Lectures in Santa Fe a few years ago.
(http://www.lannan.org/lf/audio/lannan-archives/) The
speakers that night were Toni Morrison and Michael Ondaatje,
both marvelous writers, but as different from one another in
their personalities and in their approach to writing as it
is possible to be. They each spoke eloquently and inspiringly,
and at the end of the evening as I walked out, I realized that
I was high as a kite. High in the *same* way that I used to
feel after seeing Rama or some other spiritual teacher who
had a lot of phwam! and could (I thought at the time) use
their woo-woo rays to shift my state of attention radically.
I was clearly in a different state of attention after the
lecture than I had been before it.

But this got me to thinkin', because as far as I know, neither
Toni Morrison nor Michael Ondaatje was up there on stage giving
darshan or doing anything with woo-woo rays to *get* me high
or shift my state of attention. I also seriously doubt that
they were performing any kind of hypnosis. So where did the
shift *come from*?

So I started pondering whether the "high" might come from *my*
side, as a result of running into someone who had access to
more states of attention than I did. I'm a writer, but not
nearly as good an writer or as experienced an writer as these
two; they spoke about and drew upon insights and states of
mind that I hadn't yet discovered with regard to writing. And
as I *recognized* these states of attention in them, the same
states of attention began to "wake up" inside of me. Voila,
a new theory of how "darshan" might really work.

I'm still pretty happy with the overall theory. It explains
for me most of the subjective experiences I had around charis-
matic and powerful teachers, without the drawbacks I perceive
in the "darshan" theory or "the teacher is up there *doing*
something to change your state of attention" theory.

Later, of course, I found references to this same theory of
recognition in Tibetan Buddhism and other spiritual traditions,
but my first discovery of the concept really was that night
in Santa Fe. The fact that others in old spiritual traditions
had thought of it long before I did doesn't really decrease
for me the insight I had in stumbling upon it myself, but your
mileage may vary.

Anyway, I just wanted to follow up and say that I think it's
just *fine* that you tend to interpret your own experiences
in terms of hypnosis, and the altered states that can be
achieved via hypnosis. All I'm saying is that that model
really doesn't cover all the bases as far as my own personal
experience goes. Someday it's possible that my "recognition"
theory won't cover all the bases, either, and at that point
I'll probably find another. Theories about How Things Work
are just something one does to pass the time. They're enter-
tainment, nothing more. One doesn't have to be a slave to
them.  :-)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: