On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:21 PM, new.morning wrote:

On Oct 16, 2006, at 1:28 PM, new.morning wrote:.

The Falcon Northwest Mach V runs Intel's long-awaited Core 2

processor (formerly known as Conroe). It's the new desktop

performance champ, and the one others will be chasing around the

track for quite a while.

Jaw-dropping speed. Quieter than some of the competition.

And now back to the issue at hand, that a gateway single dual core

apparently equaled or beat a Mac Pro with two dual core CPUS.

It's what's already been discussed New Mourn: it's also a Conroe processor which is supposed to be the fastest of the fast. Not so impressive now, esp. when some of these Conroe processors are on high speed RAID arrays, and being compared to a slower single hard drive! I'm certainly impressed. Next time I want to do computations on the human genome or ray trace for Pixar on the side I'll consider buying one. :-) Obviously if a lowly Woodcrest proc can beat or be close to the fastest Conroe procs, that's saying something. But they are much more expensive! see http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1