It sounds like the grant could have been channeled into a local TM
center with some advertising to the school for those who still wanted
to participate. Why the quick judgment to withdraw over a few
dissenters? Mark Von Trumpledorf III

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gimari03 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To the TL Community
> October 18, 2006
>
> The following is a news release from the District Office that
announces the
> withdrawal by the David Lynch Foundation of their $175,000 grant to
fund the
> teaching of the Transcendental Meditation technique on a voluntary
basis to
> up to 25 staff members and 250 students. As a result of the
withdrawal we
> must cancel plans for the teaching of the meditation program.
>
> NEWS For release: October 17, 2006Contact: Leah Reich
>
> Terra Linda High announces withdrawal
> of David Lynch Foundation grant
>
> SAN RAFAEL, CA, October 17, 2006 –Terra Linda High School Principal
Carole
> Ramsey announced today that the David Lynch Foundation has
withdrawn its
> offer of a $175,000 grant to fund the teaching of the Transcendental
> Meditation technique on a voluntary basis to up to 25 staff members
and 250
> students.
>
> "The intent of our offer has always been to reduce the level of
stress among
> students and staff—which has been our experience with this program
in
> schools all over the country," said Bob Roth, vice president of the
David
> Lynch Foundation. "We are disappointed to encounter such
misunderstandings
> from a tiny but vocal religious minority. Given the situation, we
feel it is
> best to direct our support to other deserving schools."
>
> In making the announcement to staff and via the OneTL website,
Principal
> Ramsey said, "It is unfortunate that a few individuals have created
an
> environment that has led to the withdrawal of this grant.
Nevertheless, the
> school will encourage students who remain interested in meditation
> investigate alternative programs. High stress continues to be a
concern for
> high school students and the school supports a variety of efforts
to reduce
> it, both inside and outside the classroom."
> # # #
>
> The San Rafael City Schools includes the San Rafael Elementary
School
> District and the San Rafael High School District that serve more
than 5,500
> students in the community of San Rafael. The vision of the San
Rafael City
> Schools is to offer an education program of unparalleled
excellence, built
> on challenging content, high performance standards and a
renaissance of
> reforms.
>
> I want to thank David Garcia and all of the staff and students who
have
> participated in trying to put this program together. While we are
> disappointed this program didn't work out, because of the high
interest we
> will encourage students to investigate other programs. We will be
providing
> guidance as to what type of programs would fit within the structure
of a
> school club and what activities would have to be outside of the
school day.

> High stress continues to be a concern for high school students and
the
> school will continue to pursue activities and programs to reduce
it, both
> inside and outside the classroom.
>
> Carole Ramsey

<*> Your email settings: