>From an op-ed defending string theory by Brian
Greene, a professor of physics and mathematics,
in the NY Times:

"To be sure, no one successful experiment would establish that string
theory is right, but neither would the failure of all such
experiments prove the theory wrong. If the accelerator experiments
fail to turn up anything, it could be that we need more powerful
machines; if the astronomical observations fail to turn up anything,
it could mean the effects are too small to be seen. The bottom line
is that it's hard to test a theory that not only taxes the capacity
of today's technology, but is also still very much under development.

"Some critics have taken this lack of definitive predictions to mean
that string theory is a protean concept whose advocates seek to step
outside the established scientific method. Nothing could be further
from the truth. Certainly, we are feeling our way through a complex
mathematical terrain, and no doubt have much ground yet to cover. But
we will hold string theory to the usual scientific standard: to be
accepted, it must make predictions that are verified."

http://tinyurl.com/unjox

I was struck by these two paragraphs because the
criticisms the writer cites sound very similar
to those that have been made of the Maharishi
Effect theory and various other paranormal-type
claims.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: