--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thanks, Jim, this is most interesting! I had just finished reading
> in Swami Vishnu Devananda's "Meditation and Mantras" (which also
> includes a nice translation of Patanjali's YS) that each of the
> paths had its specific strengths and weaknesses. If I remember
> correctly he said the bhaktas suffered a lot along the way, as
their
> faith was constantly being tested to the limits, whereas the
jnanas'
> weakness tended to be an overemphasis on the intellectual sheath,
> despite their assertions of unity with Brahman. If Brian
Teitzman's
> revised version of Ed Tarabilda's system is correct I'm actually a
> Surya (Solar path of synthesis, a little of each, which feels
> right), so I'd guess I have some of the flaws of all ... along
with
> a good dollop of Solar pride (perhaps masked by false modesty)
just
> for good measure, I imagine :-)

Hi Rory- Thanks for this- it is always helpful to get some
independent validation of one's experiences and I appreciate you
sharing this. I had written what I did regarding a bhakti-ish path
also because I wanted to dispel the image of someone chanting to God
with finger cymbals on (!) and a lot of mood-making, and indicate
that the path is every bit as rigorous, and rewarding, as any other
way to liberation. My use of the term 'bhakti-ish' also indicates
that there is a dose of jnani thrown in as well, though I tend to
keep any intellectual understanding to a bare minimum, lest I get
caught up in it. I track just enough so that I know where I am at
all times.

Two more things: First, similar to your comments regarding not
having to *do* anything about the 27 (28) Nakshatras, and the way of
liberation feeling 'right', we don't choose our way of liberation,
whether bhakti or jnani. It just comes naturally.

Second, regarding all the suffering of the bhakti, once liberation
is reached, there is not only no longer any suffering, but the
relationship with God is so intimate, so friendly, so normal, that
going forward becomes like the experience of a kid in a candy store,
or like just going about one's daily business with our favorite
Saint, Master, God or Goddess at our side, ready for any kind of
interaction. it is really an amazing experience, yet completely
normal.

Maharishi has said that all paths find their fulfillment in
liberation anyway, so regardless of the bus we boarded to get here,
here we are!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: