> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I just never caught the wave, and when I tried to
> > > catch up, it *really* didn't hold my attention. I
> > > think the issue might have been the casting and/or
> > > the characters. I'd say that I saw five or six
> > > episodes, but I can't remember even one of the
> > > characters.
> >
> > It wasn't an episdoic story line. There were far too many
> > characters and far too much going on in the plot to follow
> > casually. It was conceived of as 5 volume story, where each
> > season was a volume, and each episode was a chapter, so you
> > couldn't be a casual viewer. Harlan Elison liked the story
> > well enough to let his real name be used as a consultant,
> > and when Strazinski came up with the idea originally and
> > called him at 2am to explain it to him, he was
> > willing to listen.
>
> Thanks for the information, and I remain open to
> the possibility that it's a good series, but FYI
> Harlan was willing to talk to *anyone* at 2AM as
> long as at least half the conversation was about
> Harlan. :-)

That might be, (you know "Harlan" personally?) but this phone call was from a
semi-
hysterical guy who had been up for 24hours straight mapping out the complete
story arch
of the series and that is all he could talk about...

The series was meant to last 5 years, period. The ending was known before the
first shoot
of the pilot. In fact, towards the end of Year 4, when they thought the series
had been
cancelled, they shot the final episode. They got a repreive at the last second
and shot a
filler episode for the Season 4 finale and used the last Season 4 episode as
the Series
finale at the end of Year 5. This was obvious because one of the major
characters had
been cancelled at the end of Season 4 yet she was still in the Series finale.

No other TV show, sci-fi or otherwise, has ever been done that this way.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: