On Nov 4, 2006, at 10:22 PM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

--- Vaj wrote:

if the elements are balanced, you will

experience less issues with imbalances

arising from your meditation

practice: any meditation practice.

Understood. It makes sense. That's why I do asanas

before my morning meditation; to skip them is to have

a crappy meditation.

Maybe the absence of asanas and pranayam accounts

for the high drop-out rate among TMers.

The other side of this issue is, such a policy as a

prerequisite to instruction would keep people from

learnng. It might be practical in a culture that values

meditation very highly. But that's not the culture I live in.

Well consider SSRS and how he evolved what was TM. A prerequisite for his meditation method is his pranayama technique. Millions more have learned this than TM did in 50 years. I think once the reasons are explained and if it is made a simple part of the meditation method, it would not be an obstacle to people wanting to learn the method. SSRS's great success in this area is a good example. It's also worth mentioning that in traditional meditation instruction, pranayama comes before meditation and learning how to sit properly comes first. Once people understand why these are important, then it makes sense. And it's helpful for people to learn some basics of proper breathing, some basic breath education. This could even ideally be taught to children in a simple, non-sectarian manner. And it should be free.