> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@>
wrote:

> > I'm sure the TMO drew attention to itself in the late
> > 70's and especially after Jonestown when it announced
> > the "World Government," but as you note, even a
> > cursory look would reveal the incompetence of the TMO
> > regarding   almost all things practical.
>
> Yeah, that particular choice of phrase was a dilly. :-)
>
> While it's possible that the CIA had a passing interest
> in the TMO back then, it's the *reaction* to such an
> interest that I, as a watcher of spiritual groups, find
> interesting.
>
> Compare and contrast Maharishi's *over*reaction to
> believing that the CIA was on his ass to Amma's upon
> receiving death threats in Fairfield. As reported by
> Rick and others here, she did *not* cancel her tour,
> pooh-poohed the threat itself, and went about doing
> her job, which was to inspire people. Maharishi turned
> the "CIA threat," whether it was real or imagined,
> into a way to develop a cult "them vs. us" mentality
> in his followers, one that (uh...obviously) persists
> to this day.

Given that Amma and Maharishi's 'mission statements' are quite
different in scope, it is difficult if not impossible to compare
their tactics and strategies regarding just about anything. Amma
spreads divine love to relieve suffering, whereas Maharishi has
taken on the task to enlighten the world.

I agree with some of the statements here that Maharishi sometimes
deliberately creates diversions and misperceptions in order to
accomplish his goals. With such a huge mission before him, it no
doubt serves him well for he and his organization to be seen
sometimes as harmless, spiritually-oriented fools.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: