> > > I'm not sure how any
> > > composer could write any music down without first
> > > hearing it in his/her head, any more than a writer
> > > writes without first hearing the words in his/her
> > > head.  ...
> >
> > Just like writers have different ways of writing so
> > do musicians have different ways of composing.
>
> Yeah, what he said. Just FYI, writers who have to
> hear the words in their head before writing them
> down are the counterpart of "mouth readers" when
> reading. Slows you down and is definitely not
> necessary, except maybe for poetry and to get a
> strong feel for dialogue. Sometimes the process
> is concept --> language, without an intervening
> stop at speech.
>
> I know, I know...somebody's going to come running
> in and say something like, "...also without a stop
> at thinking," which is possible, but not my point. :-)
> I'm just making the point that the idea of the usual
> progression as concept --> "hearing" it in your
> head --> paper is not always true. Many writers
> skip the middle step entirely.

Just because this subject interests me, here's a
followup. I would bet that programmers can identify
with what I'm saying. You read a spec and get the
concept of the thing that has to be expressed in
code, and the code just comes out. I would bet that
most programmers don't pause to put the code that
they're writing into audible words and sound them
out in their head. Right, programmers?

Well, it's the same thing when programming English,
or any other language. Once you have the syntax
down, you can go straight from concept to descrip-
tion of that concept on paper, without ever hear-
ing the sounds in one's head. I would imagine the
same thing is true for mathematicians who have the
syntax of math down pat, and for physicists who have
the syntax of physics down pat. Sounding things out
in one's head is an unnecessary step that can slow
down (and sometimes stifle) the process of creation.

For dialogue, I agree that it's essential. Otherwise,
you wind up writing dialogue that sounds like it
was written by David Mamet. :-)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: