> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >

> > > US 'suburbs more violent than Iraq'
> > >
> > > By Jonathon Moran
> > >
> > > November 07, 2006 02:32pm
> > > Article from: AAP
> > >

> > > MORE fighting goes on in parts of suburban US than Iraq, according to
> > > Australian filmmaker George Gittoes who has just finished a
> > > documentary set in a Miami "war zone".
> > >
> > This guy obviously wants to have his message heard, hence the
> > spectacular sound bite, though the stats don't add up:
> >
> > USA has a population around 300M with approx. 17K murders per year
> > according to FBI.
> > Iraq has 27M population with approx. 25K murders per year based on
> > [low] estimates of Iraqi deaths during the US occupation war.
> >
> > Shows that Iraq is about 15 times more violent than the USA.
> >

> > So Iraq is
> >
> Thats fine. But what you say is not what he said. Read it a bit more
> carefully.
>
> He said "MORE fighting goes on in parts of suburban US than Iraq" --
> Specifically in Miami. His case is that parts of Miami are more
> violent than Iraq. Not some place in podunk mid america.

Yeah, but more fighting takes place between the borders of the land of the
Hatfields and
the McCoys, on a per capita basis, than almost anywhere else in the world. A
worthless
statistic.

More gunfire tkakes place in the average police dept gun range, on a per capita
basis, than
takes place in Iraq. Likewise.

Bhagdad has 100 deaths PER DAY right now, almost all due to violence. Show me
some
part of Miam that matches that.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional