> Loebsack Unseats Leach
>
> "Democrat Dave Loebsack scored a major upset in Iowa's second
> Congressional District, unseating long-time Republican Representative
> Jim Leach.  In Jefferson and Van Buren Counties however, the vote for
> Leach was stronger than for Loebsack."
>
> (Oh well, can't have everything.  It will be interesting to see how
> much Leach got in those counties.)
>
> "Loebsack aides say Leach, who has served eastern Iowa in Congress for
> 30 years, called to concede the race early this (Wednesday) morning. "
>
> At least he's accepting it graciously.  But Leach has done absolutely
> nothing with his 30 years in Congress and it's great to see him go.

I was a little sorry for Leach, the best R in the House, but Yglesias
http://www.matthewyglesias.com/ is right:

Veteran congressman Jim Leach (R-IA) went down to defeat in the
massacre of 2006. I'm no apologist for "moderate Republicans" but it
is worth saying that Leach was, in my estimation, fairly clearly the
best House Republican. Nevertheless, one can only be thrilled with his
defeat. That it happened just goes to show how fundamentally rotten
the whole GOP scene had become. Leach was, in many ways, a person
possessed of genuinely decent instincts and some fundamentally sound
ideas about how the United States should conduct itself in the world.

Nevertheless, in practice he was useless. His presence in the congress
did the world no good whatsoever. He'd be more valuable as a
professional talking head or stashed away in some think tank
somewhere. Whether his total inability to affect the direction of the
country was due to a lack of personal courage and savvy, or simply a
consequence of the structure of contemporary American conservative
politics I couldn't really say. But useless is what he'd become, and a
Democratic vote in the House will be useful.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: