< snip to >
> B. Alan Wallace may be the American Buddhist most committed to
> finding connections between Buddhism and science. An ex-Buddhist
> monk who went on to get a doctorate in religious studies at
> Stanford, he once studied under the Dalai Lama, and has acted
> as one of the Tibetan leader's translators.

Thanks for passing this recommendation along. I will
have to order the book.

BTW, forget studying at Stanford as a pedigree. Have
you ever seen the Dalai Lama or other Tibetan teachers,
and seen how "translation" works in that environment?

It's not like the UN version, where the teacher speaks
one sentence or at most two and then pauses so that the
translator can translate. It's more like the teacher
really gettin' into it and talking for five minutes,
while the translator sits there beside him, taking no
notes. Then the Dalai Lama pauses and the translator
does the whole five-minute talk, in another language.

Perfectly.

It's one of the highest artforms I've ever been fortunate
enough to witness. If this guy had that function with
the Dalai Lama, that alone is pedigree enough for me.