Master-plan panel rejects school for yogi's work

Proposal for Montgomery Twp. slams into roadblock

Tuesday, December 05, 2006
BY NYIER ABDOU
Star-Ledger [New Jersey] Staff

Plans for a graduate school devoted to the teachings of Maharishi
Mahesh Yogi in Montgomery Township hit a major snag yesterday when
township officials shot down a crucial zone change.

The township's master plan committee, an informal advisory group of
planning officials, voted unanimously to declare a preliminary
proposal by the Maharishi-affiliated group Global Country of World
Peace contrary to the township's Master Plan.

The proposed College of Vedic Medicine, which would teach and research
ancient ayurvedic healing practices from India, was slated for a
60-acre vacant property at the wooded corner of Cherry Valley Road and
the largely unpaved Mountain View Road.

Residents of the quiet residential neighborhood filled the 8:30 a.m.
meeting -- an unusual circumstance that Mayor Louise Wilson said was
"certainly very strong evidence of real serious neighborhood concern."

Global Country of World Peace regional director Paul Potter described
the campus as a peaceful center for "consciousness-based education" --
an outgrowth of Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation movement, which
in its heyday drew such notable proponents as the Beatles and the
Beach Boys.

The proposed school, along with another campus planned for an 18-acre
property on Bunn Drive in Princeton Township, would be a "sister
university" to the Maharishi University of Management, an accredited
institution in Fairfield, Iowa, Potter said.

"We have something that can really help people," Potter said.

The so-called Maharishi Effect claims groups of advanced practitioners
meditating together "would create an influence of harmony and peace
for everyone who lives here," said Lincoln Norton, a Morristown native
who was among the first 33 teachers of TM in the country along with
his wife, June.

"It's so profound that it's difficult to grasp. But it's very
fundamental to life," Potter said.

But committee chair Steven Sacks-Wilner said the township does not
focus on the applicant.

"We do not zone for users, we zone for uses," Sacks-Wilner said.

Richard Goldman, a Princeton attorney representing a number of
residents on Mountain View Road, said the property is clearly identi
fied for low-impact residential use by the Master Plan. He called the
site a "classically environmentally sensitive area."

In a letter to the township, resident and former Committeeman Keith
Wheelock, who lives on Mountain View Road, said he was "astonished"
that Global Country "would even consider seeking a massive commercial
facility on a residential tract."

"We're attracted to this land for the same reason you love it so
much," Potter said. "We want what you want -- a quiet place."

But residents were not soothed by Potter's arguments. Township planner
Richard Coppola drew loud applause when he declared the proposal "not
consistent with the township's Master Plan."

"This would be introducing an institutional use, which I don't think
is a prudent thing to do," Coppola advised.

The committee agreed. "It's a wonderful use, but not in this place,"
said Sacks-Wilner. "It's just too intense a use."

Global Country of World Peace can either appeal to the township
committee directly or seek a variance from the board of adjustment.

Potter said the group will have to consider whether to pursue the
application further, but indicated the group does not want to go where
it is not wanted.

"We're disappointed to see that our offer was not appreciated and we
were met with fighters," Potter said. "We're not fighters."

Long-time TM practitioner Jim Dallas, of Westfield, said the project
appeared to be "no-go."

"In our simplicity, we assumed they would welcome (the plan)," Potter
said. "But we don't have time to fight."

--

Nyier Abdou works in the Somerset County bureau. She may be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or (908) 429-9925.

© 2006  The Star Ledger
© 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.