<snip>
> Largely as an experiment, a good number of months ago decided to
> mention that TM was a dualistic method of meditation. The idea was
> not to characterize that as negative nor to cast it as positive.
> The initial intent was to see if some people were not aware of
> that simple, basic fact. It's come up several times since then.
>
> What it ended up telling me is who was attached to certain *ideas*
> about their own meditation practices and who really knew what they
> were doing. The truth is that *most* meditation *techniques* are
> dualistic, esp. basic meditation. Even the most sublime teachings
> will often contain a subtle dualism.
>
> Some people ended up defending this *idea* as if their lives
> depended on it. Some people had a huge amount of attachment to
> this idea. Some came out of the woodwork to hurl insults or to
> defend TM.

Actually, what happened was that Jim quite
gently engaged you on this point, noting that
TM is indeed dualistic in terms of practice
initially but that it ultimately *leads to*
the nondual state.

If you were insulted by anyone in the course of
this discussion, it was because of various other
things you said about MMY's teaching, TM, and the
states to which it leads in this connection that
were rather obviously incorrect.

> Interestingly some of the most knowledgeable people on the list
> simply said nothing.
>
> I think at this point I can declare the experiment over. :-)
>
> I learned what I wanted to learn.
>
> Thanks for all of you who participated. Your comments are now
> part of the public record.

<snicker>  So are yours.

(Unless, of course, you've deleted them...although many
of them will be preserved in quotes from the posts of
others.)