"Listen closely and you can hear silence in Stacey Hurlin's Jefferson
County home.

The blast of the heater is not heard as often or as intense as in a
conventional home. Instead, she relies on super-insulated walls and
ceiling and windows that throw sunlight and heat deep into her home

"I've never slept so deeply as I have in this little house," said
Hurlin, who is the director of a nonprofit art organization here. "It
is a silent little cave."

Hurlin lives in a development called Abundance Ecovillage, where
homes use energy in nonconventional ways. Many homeowners pay no
monthly bills to an electric company. Instead, they have invested up
front in solar, wind and other technologies for saving or creating
energy.

Not far from Ecovillage, the Maharishi University of Management is
following suit with plans to complete several projects in the next
few years that create their own energy.

(more at link)

http://tinyurl.com/y2byyk