  From: Vaj
  To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 9:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Secret practices of the Maharishi's Himalayas

  On Jan 7, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Richard J. Williams wrote:

    Vaj wrote:

        Yes, I was referring to it's use in Bon tantric practices

        which pre-date the introduction of Tantric Buddhism to

        Tibeto-Himalaya. The original phurbas--called "kilas"...

      I wonder if that's actually "kiila":

    Probably not - the pre-Buddhist inhabitants of Tibet didn't speak

    Sanskrit or any common Indian prakrit. Bon religionists probably spoke

    a dialect of Mongol or Chinese before the arrival of Padmasambhava.

    The big difference is that the Bon cult used the magic dagger for

    mundane purposes while the Buddhist tantrics used it as an

    iconographic symbol for transcending and acoomplishment (siddhi).

  We were actually talking of it's Sanskrit name, as per Vedic praxis, and thus
the name "kila". Kila's are described for Vedic use in the Artha Shastras,
which show the usage in Vedic Natural Law. They were important sacrificial
tools.

  The Kila is NOT used for transcending (nor for that matter is a yantra), it
is used for "kilana", "nailing" or subjugation of negativity and the clearing
of sacred space. In other words, in it's Buddhist usage it is used for creating
peace (not sacrifices like with Vedic Sacrificial "Science").

  In Vedic use it was often smeared with feces and/or urine and used to destroy
enemies.