> <snip>
> > The "cleanest" religions and spiritual
> > traditions I've found in history are those who didn't
> > allow this, and expected their teachers -- *including*
> > the primary teacher or guru -- to work for a living just
> > like everybody else, and do their teaching for free.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why should spiritual
> teaching be the only kind of teaching that is
> not considered to be a job deserving of
> compensation?

Just out of curiosity (since it's only my
opinion and my opinions are always in flux),
I'll answer.  :-)

The short answer is, "For the good of the
student." The somewhat longer answer is, "For
the good of the student, by ensuring the highest
possible state of attention in the teacher."

Spiritual teaching is full of pitfalls. Many
enter into it with good intentions, but find
themselves unprepared for these pitfalls, and
thus find their state of attention actually
being *lowered* by the experience of teaching
instead of having it raised. For example, if
you engage in one-on-one or one-to-many exchanges
with your students, your ego is getting a *lot*
of their attention focused on it. That can, and
often does, result in a *growth* of the ego in
the teacher, as he begins to "believe his own
press" and falls prey to the thoughts and feel-
ings that the students project onto him. Take
this to its all-too-common extreme, and you find
teachers who wind up almost addicted to the focus
they get from their students, or who wind up
sleeping with students who have developed crushes
on him, often to the detriment of both parties.

Another pitfall is more pragmatic -- money. If
the students begin to feel that the teacher is
dependent on them financially, nickle-and-diming
them just to get by, subtle resentments build up
in the students that are again then projected
onto the teacher in the form of anger. Faced
with that anger (or the psychic impact of
other thoughts projected their way by their
students), many teachers give it up fairly
quickly. Or, feeling constantly financially
"pinched" because they really *are* nickle-
and-diming their own students to survive, they
give it up and go off and find a job.

One of the ways I've seen some spiritual organ-
izations avoid these pitfalls is to make sure
that none of their teachers -- no matter how
gung-ho or motivated they may be or claim to
be -- are placed in the position of being finan-
cially tied to teaching. They suggest that the
safest way to teach -- for both teacher and
student -- is to have a job that provides you
with a comfortable living and enough free time
so that you can teach for free, donating your
time and energy as a form of selfless service.

Having taught in both situations, I can personally
speak for the benefits of teaching for free. You
have the constant reminder that you *are* doing
what you're doing for free, and *for the benefit
of the student*. The fact that you *are* doing all
this for free keeps this all-important phrase "for
the benefit of the student" an ever-present intent in
your mind. Also, you never have to go through all
the "Is it more important to teach or to eat this
month?" stuff that meditation teachers are so
familiar with. :-)

Teaching can be the most uplifting experience a
seeker has available to him in the spiritual
arsenal. Standing or sitting in front of a group
of people and allowing them to ask questions and
feeling the answers come through you can radically
change your state of attention for the better. It's
just been my experience that this is *amplified*
when you perform the teaching with no thought of
"What's in it for me?" Selfless giving is a strong
tool of self discovery because it *is* selfless,
and because it *is* giving. The more it becomes
an "exchange," or a "job," the less it seems to
shift one's state of attention to higher and
higher planes.

In short, I think that spiritual teaching should
be done for free because it's better for the
teacher. It allows him to keep himself in a clean,
high, shiny state of attention, and keeps his
intent clean. And *because* his intent is clean,
the students benefit more from the teaching.

That's the best shot I can give it. Hope it
helps...