> > Oh yes, in fact. As I pointed out to Barty, you
> > need to keep in mind that there aren't a whole lot
> > of such cushy jobs, and many people aren't qualified
> > for the ones there are. If you insist spiritual
> > teachers must teach for free by getting a high-paying
> > job that leaves them lots of free time, you're
> > restricting the pool of teachers to folks who are
> > highly educated and trained to start with, which in
> > effect means people from relatively well-to-do
> > backgrounds for the most part.
>
> "Barty" here. I love it when Judy gets so mad
> she can't type. :-)
>
> Just to provide a counterpoint to what she so
> mistakenly says above,

(Which Barry smugly thinks he's refuted but
actually has not...)

 here's what the Rama
> guy (even with his many faults) did to try
> to help his students get careers that would
> allow them the money and freedom to pursue
> their spiritual lives.
<snip Lenz's program, which sounds admirable as
far as it goes>
> This is not a career path (or a spiritual path,
> for that matter) for everyone, but I firmly
> believe that it can be *done* by everyone.
> I've seen it done by hundreds. Judy's idea that
> this approach to teaching would restrict the
> pool of teachers to the well-educated is sheer
> educational bias on her part. T'ain't true.
> It ain't the "well-educated" who get the well-
> paying jobs, it's the people who are *motivated*
> who get the well-paying jobs.

Says Barry, ignoring my qualifying phrase "for
the most part."  There are always highly
motivated folks who manage to rise above the
eight-ball.

It's not a matter of "educational bias," of
course, but of cold, hard reality: getting a
high-paying job with easy hours is a lot easier
for those who are well educated to begin with.

And for those who have managed to get a good
education but are struggling to pay off college
loans because they couldn't afford to pay
tuition out of pocket, investing substantial
amounts of time and money in additional training,
especially if they're supporting a family, is
going to be exceptionally difficult.

Making sacrifices is fine, but you shouldn't
*have* to sacrifice family life in order to be
a spiritual teacher.  That isn't good for your
teaching or your students, and it's distinctly
not good for your family.

<snip>
> I still think that financial self-sufficiency
> is a good model for the spiritual teacher.

Of course it is.  It just shouldn't be the sole
option.

 It
> avoids so many "down sides" that appear when
> you never challenge the assumption that these
> teachers somehow "deserve" not to have to work
> at a regular job, because what they're doing
> is so much more important than what "normal"
> people do.

Huh, did anybody say this was why spiritual
teachers should be compensated?  I must have
missed it.  It certainly isn't what *I* said.

What *I* said is that it seems to me spiritual
teaching *should be* a "regular job," and that
in this regard spiritual teachers "deserve" just
what everybody else does: compensation for the
time and energy they put into their work, so
they can focus on it rather than having to
siphon off much of their mental and physical
resources to hold down a second, paying job.

*If* circumstances are such that you can
hold down that second job and do your spiritual
teaching as well without excessive strain, fine,
that's the ideal and can work nicely for some people.

But it shouldn't be a *requirement*, and you
certainly shouldn't have to suffer putdowns from
obnoxious, elitist brats like Barry if the
compensation option is more suitable and
productive.

You can do "selfless service" just as well if
you're being paid for it; the selflessness is
in how you do what you do.  *Attachment* to the
idea of one's own nobility in serving without
compensation, however, so one can look down on
those who take money--as in Barry's case--
pretty much invalidates the whole thing and may
well be a far worse spiritual trap.

> *Everyone* is "normal."

<duh>  In other words, the term "normal" has no
meaning.