> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > But that (understanding spoken language) might have improved
> > a bit lately. Namely, when I listen to the lyrics of some
> > favourite songs
> > from my youth, I notice I now understand the contents
> > of those lyrics somewhat better than I used to. :0
>
> I have *always* had great difficulty understanding
> sung lyrics.  Even when the lyrics are very clear,
> I have trouble paying attention to them.  Oddly
> enough, I'll find that I've automatically memorized
> the lyrics to songs with which I'm very familiar,
> but unless I make a great effort to divorce them
> from the music and contemplate them on their own
> terms, in my mind the lyrics are just sounds--like
> scat-singing--not meaningful words.

I'm replying because this is a subject of some
interest to me. I've found that *many* people
cannot hear the lyrics of songs. I've always
been able to, and the lyrics of songs have in
fact always been a major influence in my life.

I'm not sure what the issue is, whether it's
systemic or a matter of conditioning. But there
seems little question that some people can't
hear the lyrics of song *as language* and as
having content, no matter how long they sit
and listen to them. I've watched friends *try*
to hear song lyrics, and fail completely. Odd.