Or maybe almost an automatic response to something Bob really doesn't
understand and doesn't want to acknowledge...who knows why. Or maybe
he understands it all too well and just wants to bury the anger instead
of dealing with it in a responsible way. I don't see how people who
mindlessly repeat that children "got what they deserved" can live with
themselves.

OTOH, if God doesn't play dice with the universe, if it is a just universe,
if what we experience is meant to be an evolutionary lesson of some sort,
how else do you explain the suffering of apparently innocent people?