On Jan 15, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Vaj wrote:

> Oh come on Sal, wouldn't you have loved your parents, as your first
> gurus, to arrange your marriage partner for you!  Mother knows best!
> :-)
>
> (heaven forbid if you were gay)

I don't really have  many problems with that particular tradition.
It's appeared in most cultures all over the world, and, in  general,
seems to have worked better, at least historically, than what we've
been able to manage in modern times.  That's at lest one reason why it
lasted so long.

The problems come in when people deliberately  match their kids with
others they can pretty well guess will be unsuitable, because of wealth
considerations, or whatever.  But the tradition, when practiced
responsibly, seems to have produced fairly stable families and
cultures, at least in many places outside  of India.

Sal