Newspaper humorist Art Buchwald has died at the
age of 81.  Last February he was told his kidneys
were failing and that he had only a few weeks
left. Refusing dialysis, he entered a hospice
to die, but his kidneys mysteriously kept
functioning for almost another year. By all
accounts, including his own, he enjoyed himself
thoroughly, entertaining a constant stream of
visitors who came to say goodbye:

"'The French ambassador gave me the literary
equivalent of the Legion of Honor,' he wrote.
'The National Hospice Association made me man
of the year. I never realized dying was so
much fun.'"

(Where would Buchwald be on the level-of-
evolution-at-death scale, I wonder?)

The quote is from a great obit in the NYTimes
today:

http://tinyurl.com/2hzas5