> Pentagon shows off new ray gun
>
> "Washington- The US military has tested a heat ray gun that produces an
> intolerable heating sensation on the skin designed to repel enemies or
> disperse hostile crowds without using lethal force, the Pentagon said
> Thursday. The device, called the Active Denial System, sits on top of a
> military vehicle and unleashes an invisible beam at the speed of light
> that penetrates the skin by less than a millimetre but enough to cause
> pain sensors to react."
>
> More here:
> http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Pentagon_shows_off_new_ray_gun_0125.html
>
> IOW, if some government or police idiot decides that your anti-war
> protest is hostile they can fry your crowd with it.  Far fetched, well
> some of the police I've seen around here are more outfitted with
> (unnecessary) weapons than troops in Iraq.  You'd think the street war
> was starting tomorrow and most of these folks probably have IQ's less
> than 90.

Actually, it's relatively benign, at least for most people. It's also
incredibly easy to
circumvent since it only stimulates nerve-endings 1/16" under ths skin. You
know those
tinfoil hats? A tinfoil body suit will stop this thing cold and so will any
metalic-thread
cloth, I'm betting (as long as it conducts electricity of course).