> Well said, Mark. I wouldn't touch the last lines
> with a ten-foot pole :-), but I sure am interested
> to hear the response.

Since Barry already knows quite well what my
response would be, this is (surprise!) just a bit
disingenuous.

On the other hand, Mark's quoting St. Paul at me
in the first place was itself rather disingenuous.

Both Barry and Mark know I'm not a religionist,
much less a fundie Christian who would feel the
need to defend Paul's misogyny.

In fact, I did send a response, but it never got
posted.  After Mark's lastest post demanding to
know how I reconciled my views with young-earth
creationism and other such absurdities--when,
again, he knows I'm not a religionist and
certainly not a fundie--I realized he, exactly
like Harris, is not interested in discussion but
rather in polemic.  So at this point I'm
disinclined to attempt to reconstruct my lost
response to this post.

> The problem with believing that you know the
> Absolute Truth is that it all too often goes
> hand in hand with believing that you have the
> right (or worse, the God-given duty) to impose
> that Absolute Truth on others.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  It
certainly doesn't with Sullivan, which is why
Harris's attack on him is so out of line.

Plus which, as I pointed out to Mark, there's
a tendency on the part of folks like him and
Harris--and Barry, of course--to fall into the
inadvertent irony of wanting to impose *their*
Absolute Truth on those they're criticizing.