<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been digging the Sam Harris discussion.  I haven't had
> the time to be generative, but I have enjoyed checking in and
> seeing some detailed thoughts on his debate.  I look forward
> to your definitions in this discussion.  I do believe in
> different ways of people's functioning so I have to give more
> thought to what it means to me.

The basic problem with the question, as I see
it, is that enlightenment is a purely subjective
phenomenon.  So the *real* question is, do you
believe there are any ways that the phenomenon
manifests *objectively*, such that there are
any grounds for others to believe a person is
enlightened?

If so, then it gets really complicated, because
you have to define "objective" in this context.
Does it mean "perceptible to all observers" (one
of the dictionary definitions), or just to some?
Does it refer to sensory perception?  Or could a
well-defined subjective experience, such as Barry's
criterion of experiencing samadhi in the presence
of the person when they are meditating, constitute
an "objective" perception in this context?

On the other hand, if there aren't any reliable
"objective" criteria, however one defines
"objective"--let's just say for now that
"objective" means "so other people can tell"--
then any criteria for believing someone is
enlightened must themselves be purely subjective.
In that case a "gut feeling" is no more nor less
definitive than a list of specifics (even if one
or more of the specifics has to do with a well-
defined subjective experience, such as Barry's).

My personal guess is that there are no reliable
criteria of enlightenment such that other people
can tell whether someone is enlightened, and
that any specific criteria one might list are
all after-the-fact rationalizations of a "gut
feeling."

So I don't really think the original question is
very meaningful; and given Barry's responses to
others' comments, it seems pretty clear that it
was intended to serve as a vehicle for putdowns
by Barry of those who don't come up with a list
of specific criteria.