Marek:
It's a pleasure to indulge in conversations like this. Real satsang.
Thank you.]

Me: What is cool for me is to connect with people like yourself whose
practice is so mature.  Guys like you, and others here, have practiced
meditation techniques for a very long time. Your own contributions to
this field are significant.  It is a growing body of knowledge about
what it means to be human.  Although I may not be practicing a
meditation technique, I will always consider myself a student of human
awareness.

One funny thing for me is that MMY himself did not practice meditation
in this way.  His perspective is so different from his students.  One
of his oddest claims is that after Guru Dev died, he spent 2 years in
Uttar Kashi with very few thoughts.  I think this was the story that
made me believe that he was functioning in a different way from the
rest of us.  I could not imagine just sitting quietly day after day.
I think he may have been a bit depressed after losing the love of his
life.  That may have been a reason he could just sit there since that
was not at all characteristic of him before or since.  I used to crave
such a life when I was young and into TM.  Just sitting in the
transcendent.  Now I fulfill some of that desire when I am kayaking
and just let my boat drift in a beautiful natural area.  It is my
version of retreating into myself.  But I no longer crave the eye's
closed version.  I think it may be because I really "get" my mortality
now.  I am pissed of that I have to close my eyes to sleep!  I don't
feel frantic, and I can be as lazy as the next guy, but I do feel a
strong desire to keep my eyes opened, sucking in life as much as I
can.  "Its not that life is so short, its that we're dead so long"!

If you would care to describe some of the changes in your practice and
perspectives through the years, I would like hearing about them.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>