--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "coshlnx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.tinyurl.com/2835ty

Much better. I like his last question to Sullivan.

This rap also pretty much dispatches the speculation
that he's a closet Buddhist.

One quote I liked: "Do you really think that the
23rd century will dawn, with unimaginably powerful
technology having spread to every corner of the
earth, and our thinking will still be governed
by sectarian religious certainties?"

I don't know how Sullivan will answer this question,
but I do so with a resounding "Yes." As Harris points
out, religion is an *emotional* thing. People in the
23rd century will be just like the people in this
century, *claiming* that they believe the things they
believe as the result of some kind of rational deduc-
tion (like Pascal's wager), but IMO they're not being
honest -- with those they're arguing with, or with
themselves. They believe these things because they
need the emotional hit they get from them. I don't
see that changing in human nature -- in two centuries
or twenty.