Perhaps MMY's real achievement to date is his original target
of "multiplying" himself. He has not bothered with fostering a mass
movement but has focused on thoroughly embedding his own
idiosyncratic vision on maybe a few hundred thousand die hard
supporters. He is now leaving the Movement with a more complete
elaboration of his initial philosophy, espoused in the Science of
Being, and presumably believes that even without a mass movement he
can achieve the whole range of "effects" on individual and society
his Vedic tradition aspired to. Moreover because his approach so
often seemed so insane, and he was no real threat to the
establishment - spiritual or political - and has therefore managed to
minimize resistance. The really interesting thing now is that in
THEORY at least his philosophy is the only one (as far as I know)
that offers a comprehensive antidote to the range of intractable
problems facing individuals and societies at the present time - from
individual stress to collective madness in the form of terrorism or
climatic change. The need for his programme is at its height and the
Movement is united and primed to respond, should a breakthrough
opportunity emerge. Given that so many idiotic movements in the world
have managed, undeservedly, to gain acceptance and support in the
past there is a good chance that sooner or later a breakthrough for
MMY, or his heirs, will surely come. I just hope by then they will
remove the embarassing music and voiceovers in their video
presentations - although in fairness that would be a small price to
pay for world peace etc etc. Even if the reality in practice never
matches the glory of the theory I'd see it as one of those noble,
glorious failures that just HAD to be tried out. Nevertheless it
could all have worked equally had there been a "secular" branch of
TM, just teaching the technique and getting mass support, and a
more "esoteric" branch of the Movement for those so inclined, much
like the Buddhist enjoy viz the Benson researchers & the CBT
psychologists in Massachussets. But then even this way MMY has proved
himself a maverick odd-ball. Interesting to see whether he'll just
manage to do enough now to die a hero too...

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mainstream20016"