And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who saw some
kind of Christian theme there was projecting it
onto the film, along with their existing dislike
of Mel Gibson. It's a pretty fine adventure tale,
set at the sunset of the Mayan empire. Violent,
yes, because that was a violent time, but very
well done in my opinion. If the history is not
exact, well...that's not necessarily an artist's
job, is it? Shakespeare fucked up history right
and left. The artist's job is similar to that of
the shamans you see in this film -- to tell a tale
of power that uplifts and entertains. Mel Gibson
did both. His critics can go suck eggs.