Watched "The Secret" this week for the first time (on the advice of a
40-year TMer) and I enjoyed it immensely.  I found its message
positive and inspirational.  I recommend it highly.

Having said that, I predict, on the basis of his appearance in this
DVD, that John Hagelin will be given an ultimatum by either MMY or
others in the TMO: either repudiate what is in the DVD or step down
from his positions in the TMO.

Why will it come to this?

Because, unlike the "What the bleep" movie which was basically a
discussion of physics and its connection to spirituality and the mind-
body question, "The Secret" involves the teaching and dissemination
of actual mental techniques.

And not just your run-of-the-mill, positive-mental-attitude, it's-
good-to-have-a-sunny-disposition, garden-variety mental technique.
No, the makers of this DVD promise their practitioners that by
practising the mental techniques described in "The Secret" they will
obtain nothing less than anything in the universe that they ask for.

And that's the rub: the instructions unveiled in this film are,
bottom line, mental techniques...and not-so-innocuous mental
techniques at that.  In order to practise them they require
controlling one's thoughts and feelings. And they pretty much require
practising their techniques for a good part of the day.

And this, my friends, is a freight train running head-on into an
oncoming locomotive.

Why?

Because the question will inevitably be asked: why start TM when all
one has to do to get anything from the universe is to follow the
mental technique instructions in "The Secret"?  And if one is already
doing TM, why continue with it and bother with all the unstressing
and the two 20-minute periods each day when all you have to do is the
Secret's 3-step program.

Hey, I dare say that "The Secret" is far superior to TM: much more
practical and cheaper at $29.95 than the unweildy 7-step $2,500 TM
Program!.  Indeed, "The Secret" even comes with its own holy
tradition...and it includes people we've heard of: Einstein, Henry
Ford, Churchill!

Why bother moving to Fairfield and spending 6 hours in the Dome each
day when in the privacy and comfort of your existing home without
moving away from your hometown you can get world peace just by
practising "The Secret"? Because, after all, if through "The Secret"
anything in the universe is available to you, obtaining world peace
for this itty-bitty third rock from the sun shouldn't be such a big
deal.

No, any way you cut it, bottom line is that the teachings in this DVD
conflict with the TMO's and MMY's direction.  And if sneaking off to
Iowa City to get hugged by a middle-aged Indian woman is enough to
get you kicked out of the Dome, then I dare say that hooking up with
a multinational marketing program promising nothing less than
changing the course of human history can only warrant you at least
the same.

Hagelin cannot be in one of the top 5 positions in the TMO (next to
Maharishi, Bevan and da King) and, next to Maharishi, the #1 PR
position of the TMO (is he not the face of the TMO in the Western
World?) and be a part of a program that a regular TM trooper can now
point to and say: "Well, John Hagelin appeared in this film and they
say all you have to do to get everything you want is this and
that...so why should I bother with this TM teaching if Hagelin
endorses it?".

And even though Hagelin's participation is not the parts where actual
instructions are given, he does by his presence give credence to the
whole kit-and-kaboodle.  There's no way of getting around it: he is
sold in the DVD as being part-and-parcel of "The Secret".

So push has to come to shove.  And Hagelin will inevitably be asked
to clarify his position.

And when he is confronted and told to clarify his position, he will
told that it will have to be public so that all the minions know
where he stands.  But Hagelin will also be presented with,
inevitably, an additional admonition: "And, John, in addition to
repudiating this film you must agree to never, ever appear in films
or any media like this again and you must always toe the TM party-
line".

The problem is that our Mr. Hagelin loves the limelight a wee bit too
much.  Sure, he'll think long and hard but I'll bet a dollar to a
donut that he will, ultimately, choose to go the way of a Deepak and
resign and cut his ties.   Hey, just by virtue of sheer boredom.  I
mean, how many years can you repeat the same claptrap?  No, Hagelin
will choose more limelight opportunities over rigid guru-imposed,
you'll-getting-your-comeuppance restrictions on his free speech and
he'll fly the coup.