--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> snip
> >
> > This speech comes from a place in me that has
> > always held fairness, honesty, and sincerity as
> > the highest values. I was raised with those
> > values; they were how my parents treated me, and
> > I was taught that I should stand up for those
> > values, for others as well as myself, whenever I
> > saw them being trashed.
> >
> > Goodness knows I have my faults, but I do my
> > level best to live up to that teaching, at least.
> > And that's what I'm doing in this post.
>
> (Speaking about you in the third person) (I think)  This
> lady is a powerful writer, and what a mind.  But I just
> can't help but feel she has this tremendous blind spot
> that prevents her from seeing things in clear light. I
> mean the moniker, "Defender of the Faith" seems
> appropiate.

The more I encounter this "defender of the faith"
mentality, not just on FFL but in Christian groups
and Buddhist groups and Islamic groups and even in
political groups and Microsoft groups and Oracle
groups, the more I am reminded of Rene Descartes.

His famous saying, "I think, therefore I am," has
been accurately described from the point of view
of yoga and enlightenment as being *bassackwards*.
He put Descartes before the horse.

Similarly, a *lot* of people seem to get off on
the belief, "I am persecuted, therefore I am."
What they focus on is the "attacks" on the things
that their small s selves believe, as if those
small s selves were really who they are. The more
"attacks" they can perceive against the small s
self, the more important that self seems, and the
stronger it gets.

It seems to me that a "defender of the faith" is
really "defending" his or her small s self, and the
puny things it believes. The more "attacks" the
small s self perceives, the more it believes in its
own importance.

And sadly, the more "attacks" that the small s self
perceives, and the more it "defends" itself against
them and feels important for having done so, the more
unhappy it gets.

As opposed to realizing that there is nothing to be
"attacked," and nothing to defend, and nothing to
defend *against*, and that letting go of the notion
of self is the thing that leads to the ultimate
happiness of Self.