new.morning wrote:
> I am not sure if "promise" is the word, but
> in Nov 1967 in Berkeley MMY talked specifically
> about how TM would result in CC in 5 years for
> students -- and even had a pamphlet to go along
> with it which had the 5 years in writing.

Maybe so, but I helped Jerry Jarvis set up SIMS
at Berkely in 1967 and I was in charge of all
printed literature at that time - no pamplet
made that claim that I ever sent to the printer.

According to Barry, he used to pass out leaflets
whith a promise for enlightenemnt, but I never
saw such. In fact, in over ten years of reading
posts on AMT, not one single respondent has ever
been able to substantiaite this silly claim.

Lon P. Stacks on AMT was unable to post such a
quotation from any printed matter and he was
the manager of MIU Press at Livingston Manor.

> The impression of many -- and most of my friends
> and peers at the time -- was that doing the
> program for five years faithfully would result
> in CC. It was a common assumption, a given, in
> those days.

This claim, if made, would be non-sensical, since
by 1967, several hundred people had already been
practicing TM for over ten years without attaining
CC. Maharishi himself never claimed to be in CC
and supposedly he had been practicing TM since 1947.

In fact, Maharishi said that TM WAS NOT the cause
of enlightenemnt - the practice of TM simply
provides the opportunity for transcending.
According to Swami Brahmananda Saraswati, Brahman
is Light itself - it needs no other light to
illuminate it.

Obviously you are mistaken and Rory is certainly
not infallible since he can't even remember the
news forums that he posts to. However, the claim
made below by Rory is obviously false. There's a
lot of stuff that just seems to be made up by
some of you ex-TMers - why, I don't know.

What do you think?

"Finally, he declared himself infallible; he
actually said, "I never make mistakes," which
immediately reminded me of many errors he had
made: first claiming that all meditators would
reach Cosmic Consciousness in a few months,
later adjusting the estimate upward to
two-to-three years, then readjusting up to
three-to-five years, then up again to
five-to-eight years..." - Rory Goff

Read more:

Newsgroups: alt.meditation.transcendental