<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey T3inity,
>
> That was really an interesting post!  Sounds like you are really deep
> into Indian culture.  I would love to visit again.

Thanks, yes I am, I really love it. Visit again, you will see much has
changed, much is just the same. Cities have changed a lot, newer
roads, all the new car types, more expansive hotels, but still
unbelievable cheap given the conversion rates. Everybody has cell
phones now, even our Riksha driver, and its a good idea to get a local
SIM, was the best idea on this trip. And rural India is still the
same, has hardly changed AFAICtell.

> I know that MMY has deviated from the traditional teachers in India
> and caught flack for it from the traditional guys.  I was wondering if
> Guru Dev also exhibited this trait.  I may be wrong and your post
> certainly makes a case for that.

I don't think Guru Dev deviated. Maharishi largly paved the way for
the new middle class gurus, he was the model case as I see it. His
concept is very successful and copied by others.

One more detail that I found interesting talking to Narayan Ayer was:
There seemed to be a concern about Maharishi not wearing orange and
his acceptance in the west. Vivekananda seemed to be a role model for
Maharishi, also interesting as he started out in Kanya Kumari, where
Vivekananda swam to an island and had his famous vision of creating a
sannyasi order and going to America. So the concern was there if he
would be accepted as an Indian teacher not wearing orange but white -
but it worked. As for the famous /infamous watered-down argument, I am
fed up with it, because there is nothing that you couldn't make a bit
more compliceted, especially the sience of Mantras, but all the
scriptures at least that I read stress on simplicity and devotion.
Maharishi paved the way, and thats what he wanted to do, and he knew
he did it, thats okay in my eyes.