You are correct that any "solution" needs to be global. China will
soon pass the US as worlds largest CO2 producer. I believe that trade
with China and India will require CO2 limits as the various cap and
trade legislations being introduced take hold (Boxer/Sander bill for
one). [That is place a cap for each producer on CO2, and trade co2
credits that overproducers can buy and underproducers can sell. Such a
system drove the price of sulpher air pollution reduction way down to
unpredictedly low levels.]

Electric power genertation  produces 40% of US CO2, and transportation
producing another 30% in US. Sequestration of CO2 at electric
generation sites is a long run solution. But it is problematic.
Sequestering CO2 is demonstrated and feasible for NEW coal plants (50%
of generation use coal). Older plants can't be retrofited. And costs
are high now, 3-4 cents/kwh, but are predicted to be 1/10 of that as
technology and experience improves.

And a second generation of lower cost PV solar cells is predicted, as
is improved wind generation. Both are supplements but not replacements
for baseloaded electric plants that can run up to 24/7 to follow
demand. And energy efficiency technology is always providing
significant ways to reduce energy consumption while providing the same
level of "service".

Thus, in concept, CO2 could be significantly reduced world wide with:

1) huge capital investment to transform the electric generation
industry, converting to new generation of CO2 sequestering generation
plants,

2) greatly expanding solar, wind and energy-efficiency,

3) transforming transportation to electric-based (from CO2 sequestered
generation).

4) Negotiate China and India etc into the plan via trade pressure and
supplemental funding from the West.

5) And a robust and well monitored CO2 credits trading system could
drive down the price of CO2 reduction to unexpected new levels.

Still, if we stopped ALL Co2 today, it looks like a lot of global
warming damage will still be done. And if if we continue as is, 25% of
species could disappear in 100 years! And coastal areas could be
severaly damaged. That would make the social, economic and ecosystems
so much more fragile, that could trigger all sorts of negative
impacts. Its a somber picture.

Its a set of hard choices.

Unless ... ME has a big cooling effect.

> In a message dated 4/6/07 8:36:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> For the  first time in nearly two decades of reviewing research on
> global warming,  the main international group studying climate change
> has found that  heat-trapping emissions from industry and other
> activities are already  influencing weather patterns and ecology in
> ways both harmful and  beneficial.
>

> Assuming this is true for a moment, we, in the United States, could
stop
> running our cars, stop generating electricity and shut down all of our
> industries that pollute and probably wouldn't have much effect in
reversing this  trend
> because if you have ever traveled out side of the US to countries
like  China
> , India or many other  third world countries, you'll find their
pollution
> levels are far worse than ours. These countries have no interest in
 using
> higher costing technologies to reduce their own pollution levels.
They are in the

http://www.aol.com.