--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> I mean, if God is true, anything can be true, right?  If we
> don't know EVERYTHING, we can be wrong about anything, right?
<snip>
> But if we don't
> allow God to have that freedom, to be that deeply dramatic
> over the lifetimes of billions of souls, then we don't really
> want a redoubtable God and instead are hoping for a doubtable
> God.  It's about faith, not certainty, right?

Came across two pieces of material this morning that
tie into the issue of doubt more or less directly.

The first was an email to Andrew Sullivan concerning
his debate with Sam Harris about faith vs. science,
which Andrew posted on his blog:

"Moderation vs. Fundamentalism. How much doubt is too
much? Why not doubt the whole shebang?

"The answer: because doubting the whole shebang is a
'certainty' that could be as mistaken as believing in
any particular religion. The argument for believing
in a 'tolerant' religious framework is because we do
not, and cannot, know the truth of either atheism or
of any theism....One can neither prove nor disprove
the existence of God. But all scientific evidence
suggests the physical limitations of the human
consciousness separate us from the true nature of the
universe. God is merely that true nature; religion,
like science, a path to glimpse a part of it, not an
expression of the whole."

http://tinyurl.com/2r8hyt

In other words: Doubt the doubt.

Then I was curious about when David Orme-Johnson had
been kicked off the MUM faculty and went to his
TruthAboutTM Web site to find out (2004). I nosed
around the site a bit and found this:

"Issue: Is the Transcendental Meditation organization a cult?

"The Evidence:

"The Transcendental Meditation organization is not a cult
and 'thought reform' is not used in the Transcendental Meditation
program.

"Background:

"Research on the Transcendental Meditation program shows that the
effects it produces are the opposite to those found in people who
allegedly get involved in cults. For example, a doctoral dissertation
conducted at York University found that high school students became
more autonomous, independent, and innovative through the
Transcendental Meditation program, with increased ability to deal
with abstract and complex situations. They also showed increases on
creativity, general intelligence and self-esteem. Similarly, a
doctoral dissertation at Harvard found that the Transcendental
Meditation program increased autonomous thought in prisoners, and
increased moral reasoning to levels that displays mature, independent
judgement based on principles. This is highly significant, because
cult following is allegedly based on the opposite—blind faith and
rigid adherence to arbitrary rules and authority, which are
characteristic of a lower level of moral reasoning measured by the
psychological tests used in the study.

"A wide variety of other research also demonstrates the growth of
independent thinking in those who practice the Transcendental
Meditation program. For example, well controlled studies have found
that the Transcendental Meditation program increases field
independence. Research has shown that field independent individuals
are more independent in their thinking and are more resistant to peer
pressure to do anything that they feel is not right.

"An essential feature of a cult is that it is a closed system of
thought that does not submit itself to outside validation. The
Transcendental Meditation organization is the opposite because it
submits its theories to the rigors of scientific testing, encourages
research by independent universities and research organizations (to
date, 209 universities have conducted research on the Transcendental
Meditation program), publishes in peer-reviewed journals, and
participates actively in scientific conferences worldwide."

http://tinyurl.com/2shu7w

This really got me chuckling.  Obviously the last
paragraph is ironic considering what the TMO has
become; but what really struck me--and others have
made pretty much the same point, but this highlights
it so clearly--is the inherent contradiction in
trying to run a coherent movement deeply committed
to the universal practice of a technique that fosters
autonomy and independent thinking (and hence
encourages doubt).

Such a movement willy-nilly carries the seeds of its
own destruction.