Marketing Gurus
<paste>
India has been known for its spirituality, swamis and sadhus for as
long as anyone can care to remember. Spirituality has been one of
India's most successful exports — Bollywood's `soft power'
notwithstanding.
It would be most unusual to refer to the purveyors of spirituality as
entrepreneurs but then that is what they, in a sense, are. They are
on their own, they undertake their work with a great deal of passion
and energy, and actually head organizations that generate serious
revenues. Given the vast spirituality `market' it is not surprising
to find a bewilderingly large array of spirited entrepreneurs of
spirituality.
Yet there are only a few that have acquired a pan-Indian or global
following. The success of these few, therefore, offers many
interesting marketing lessons to entrepreneurs from the temporal
world. The first lesson would be: Unique, well-defined customer
segment.
Each guru has a well-defined set of followers. There are hardly any
overlaps and fewer instances of cannibalization where one guru weans
away followers from another. For example, one would be hard-pressed
to find, say, a follower of both Sri Sri Ravishankar and Osho. Or of
a Baba Ramdev and Mata Amritanandamayi. Each segment is uniquely
defined.
The second that one can learn from the gurus of spirituality is that
they have: `unique motifs'. Each guru has a unique motif that defines
his or her message or persona. For example, Sri Sri Ravishankar has
his Sudarshan kriya, Baba Ramdev has his Yoga, Swami Prabhupada had
his Krishna Consciousness, Maharshi Mahesh Yogi had Transcendental
Meditation, Osho had Dynamic Meditation — most significantly, Mata
Amritanandamayi has her unique hugs.
Each guru also has a unique pre-fix or suffix that defines them. Sri
Sri, Baba, Swami, Acharya, Mata, Bhagwan, Ma, Ma harshi, Amma and so
on.
Some perform `miracles', others talk in `holistic' terms integrating
everything from Christianity to Zen; others advocate a back to basics
or back to nature approach. But each is unique in its appeal to a
target audience.
The third lesson is: laser sharp initial focus, growth in concentric
circles later. Each guru initially just had a focused simple
spiritual message usually of enlightenment, how to live a stress free
life, deal with personal angst and so on. Later, as the number of
followers grew, the messaging reach spread up and down and across
different customer groups. For example, Baba Ramdev, primarily a Yoga
guru, now holds forth on AIDS, role of MNCs and fast-food; The Art of
Living movement offers spiritual solace to Defence personnel and to
prisoners; Deepak Chopra from mind-body medicine to Seven Spiritual
Laws of Success and Kama Sutra. Swami Sukhbodhananda has corporate
training programmes.
Almost all gurus today predominantly perform social service reaching
out to many tens of thousands of people every day. They have
established disciplined and sophisticated structures for co-
ordination, command and control of operations.
The fourth lesson is: Communication, branding and positioning. The
communication techniques are interesting as well. For example, some
adopt the time-tested formula of having celebrities endorse them —
politicians, film-stars, sports personalities.
Others use the well-known MLM (multi-level marketing) model where
each follower organises local gatherings — usually a home, where the
uninitiated are invited and so on down the hierarchy. Yet others use
mass media, for example television, for reaching out to large numbers
at a time. Mega events such as meditation camps, international meets
on spirituality and consciousness with several national and
international dignitaries in attendance.
Aggressive pamphleteering, noisy processions and colourful banners
proclaiming the arrival or presence of the gurus are employed usually
catering to the mass audience.
Gaining recognition abroad is an important element is getting
acceptance at home. Indians love things `foreign' and spirituality is
no different. Most gurus started out at home, acquired celebrity
Indian followers and then acquired foreign followers, which helped
increase the following in India. Well, what do you think of these
four lessons?
—The writer brings close to two decades of experience as an
entrepreneur, corporate executive, venture investor, advisor and
mentor. He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] These are his
personal views

<end paste>

>Marketing Guru 'Gimmicks'
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>
> >wrote:
> >
> > Amma: hugs
> > Maharishi: giggles
> > Guru Maharaj Ji: being 13-years-old
> > Sri Chinmoy: running marathons and "allegedly" lifting large
weights
> > Osho: sex, sex,and more sex!
> > Muktananda: shaktipat
> > Sai Baba: materializing sacred ash (well, faking materializing
sacred
> > ash, anyway)

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "dhamiltony2k5"