> On Apr 17, 2007, at 1:46 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > My point was that *even as a single incident* it could
> > be traumatic for the kids, not just at that moment but
> > long term, *especially* if the mother were normally
> > highly responsible and rational. Depends a lot on the
> > kids' age, though.
>
> Right, so this incident, far from showing that the mother
> was being irresponsible or even neglectful, actually proves
> what a *great* mother she was, since presumably, if her
> kids were even the least bit taken aback by her behavior,
> it could only be because it was such a huge change from the
> way she normally acted.  It couldn't at all be because
> they'd seen examples of how other mothers react to their
> kids' needs and kept hoping against hope that one day,
> their mother might also.

<boggling>  How on EARTH could you possibly have gotten
that from what I wrote??

Sal, give your imagination some time off.
It's overheating.

What's particularly amusing about your fantasy here is
that I was in complete agreement with you and Curtis
that this story trivialized the potentially negative
effect of this woman's experience on her kids.

<snip>
> > You're exaggerating again.  Unless these kids were
> > teeny-weeny, they were perfectly capable of grabbing
> > something from the kitchen to tide them over.
>
> Of course they could have--then why didn't they?

How do you know they didn't??

> > And if they'd been really terrorized about disturbing their
> > mother, they wouldn't have approached her at all.
>
> That is simply not correct.  You've obviously not spent much time
> around either kids or neglected kids.

Au contraire.  I stand by what I said.

> > More likely, they weren't hungry so much as they were
> > impatient for the promised treat.
>
> And you know this because...?

Where did I say I "knew" it, Sal?  Check Mr. Dictionary
for the meaning of "likely."

> >  For that matter, for
> > all we know, they were so absorbed in their play they
> > weren't even thinking about pancakes until they'd gotten
> > tired of whatever game they were playing.
> >

> And what game would that be, Judy?  Please let me know
> so I can get my hands on a copy of it, because when my
> kids are hungry,

Assumes facts not in evidence.  We don't know that
they were hungry.

<snip>
> And to most people, pancakes is not some kind of special
> "treat"--it's a normal meal.

To most *kids*, pancakes are a treat.