--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Around '84 I came to Fairfield on one of those assembly courses.
At
> > the time, a student told me that Campus Security Guards had been
armed
> > with guns.  But this had caused an outrage in non-meditating
surrounds
> > and that, as a direct result the Iowa legislature had passed a
law
> > banning security guards on Iowa campuses from carrying firearms.
> >
> > Has anyone ever heard of this?  I had only heard it once -- from
this
> > student -- and this was over 20 years ago so my memory could be
> > faulty.
>

> I remember that course. MMY was on campus, and they hired armed
> rent-a-cops for beefed up security. I was an MIU student at the
time,
> and I remember having to show my badge to the armed guard stationed
by
> the front entrance when walking from Howard dorm, across highway 1,
> over to the main campus.
>
> I also remember the bit about the legislature passing a law
outlawing
> armed guards on Iowa campuses. However, I don't know if that is
> actually the case.

The hiring of armed goons by MIU did prompt the Iowa legislature to
pass a law barring armed guards on Iowa campuses. The rent-a-wannabes
hired by MIU's idiot security chief (who is, unbelievably, still in
charge of security after beaucoup f*ckups over the last 20+ years)
did stunts like yanking older women out of their cars in imposing the
entirely unreasonable and unwarranted level of security that MIU was
imposing. The publicity from this caused the legislature to act --
it's hard to link to any published stories about this, since it
predates the net by years.