--Ethics, as opposed to morals, can be "explained", as being
independent of, and not needing, religion; since it's obvious that
ethical and largely athiestic countries do quite well without religion.
 The explanation? ethics are hardwired in DNA, and animals have a
rudimentary capacity for ethical behavior. Then couple the DNA with
game theory and we have a plausible hypothesis for the origins of
ethics, but without the need for moral or religious underpinnings.
 The above viewpoint is consistent with MMY's Natural Law and the
concept of Dharma; but various "experts" have only scratched the
surface of possible discourses on the subject.
 Sakyamuni Buddha and his successors seemed to know more than most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law#Contemporary_Catholic_Understan\