Turq,

Your joke about cutting down the report triggered some memories for
me.  I wrote about a dozen infomercials, years ago now, and during the
shoots, I'd be up at 3am rewriting some scene, and then the next
morning I'd drag my ass into the meeting with the new material, and
the bosses would just take out all my sweet little bon mots.  Every
little flourish of mine was scrapped off the top like too much
frosting -- just wasn't enough time to be "pretty" and I had trim
everything down to the bone -- the bone being "what sells."

I think I learned a lot from that experience, just like, er was it you
that wrote instructional manuals?, well like that I had to get focused
on the actual goals of the writing instead of proving myself to be
wondrously creative, cool ass, next Updike, world class, scribe for
the ages -- you know, how people normally view me.

I love good writing.  When I don't agree with you or Curtis, (and
several other good writers here whom I am too lazy to list) I still
read the entire post -- that's good writing. And whether the post is
filled with creative wordplay or if it is a straightforward didactic
attempt, I'm pleased with seeing your skills in action.

To me, posting here HAS to be about creativity.  I just have too deep
a certainty about my own confusions to pose as a teacher -- though
indeed, most jyotishis told me I was destined to be one. I read the
writings of the world class brains out there in the real world, and
I'm panting to keep up.  Try reading Thomas Aquinas about
consciousness....it'll test you as much as that Science of Being and
Art of Living chapter about "when consciousness becomes conscious."
And, as much as I could get an A+ on my Advaita final exam, I just
don't have the intellectual chops to produce something that's bankable
guru spew.

But I do have the ability to sing of my perspectives, and that's a
valid and authoritative and legitimate expression, cuz, who else is
inside my head, eh?  So that's my field of expertise -- I'm the expert
on the hilarity of Edg's lack of ability to do anything extremely well.

Oh, read Ramana Maharshi or Nisargadatta. Those two guys covered it
all with such simple statements.  What more could anyone do?  Don't
look at me!  Comparatively, I'm the kid in the back of the class
shooting spit wads and burping when the teacher is writing on the
blackboard.

I'm only having funzies.  I don't have serious goals when all the
knowledge is really right there in the books.  Sigh.  In India, they
say, "Knowledge in the books stays in the books."

And if ever there was a place where horses were brought to drink but
refuse to do so, it's here, and so teaching anyone or converting
anyone or even just slightly influencing anyone posting here is purdy
durned nigh on to impossible.  The readers here are very practiced and
bristling, and I don't have the desire to get into a fist fight here,
so I'm a trollish gadfly to some extent in that I'm just getting my
ego's hunger for attention assuaged.  I just haven't wanted to correct
anyone's mistakes -- not when I'd have to throw a stone from my glass
house at them.

That's one of the best things about FFlife:  you can be sure that only
a certain low level of bullshit can get past the eyes here, otherwise
one is crisped in short order.  I barely escaped alive from telling
you folks about paying for a soldier's meal -- it was so ladened with
my own hubris, so I'm ducking and weaving, and it keeps me honest
enough to have a modicum of integrity when I write.

All my life I've been mostly a guarded personality that took only
known risks, but here, I've been letting myself laugh at me for all
the ridiculousness, and it's been freeing to just be honest instead of
creating a very clever mask.  Not that I'm not wearing a mask all the
time, but that the one I wear nowadays seems to be more form fitting
to my skin.  For me, it's amazing to admit I am screwy, cuz, I gotta
tell ya, when my ego sees me ratting me out, the little creep does a
jig while having a fit, and it's just so comical.

Edg