If Marek and DharmaMitra want to go on all night telling nice puranic
stories, 10-20 posts each, they have my vote.

Sometimes the grahas grab you, the sun shines in your heart a certain
way, one is in the zone with a particular idea. I say when that
happens -- go for it. Pursue the thought and dialogue for all to
enjoy. A strict anal five post a day limit squeezes the life out of
such moments. And squeezes the life out of FFL.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thank you, DharmaMitra, for reminding me of it, though if the truth be
> told, I think I kind of forgot what the actual teaching point was, as
> it appeared in the Yoga Vasishta.  But what I said seemed to work,
> too, just perhaps not as elegantly.
>
> And I like the Narada story you told.  After reading it (below) I
> reflected on just how much the Puranic stories really tickle me
> (hadn't heard the term, 'Katha Shastra' before).  They're so totally
> out there and yet they seem so solid and clean and right on point.
> That's one of the things I like about the whole Indian/Hindu backstory
> that's always percolated through the TMO.
>
> One of my favorite Purana stories is the one where the sage,
> Markandeya, is strolling through creation, which is only existing in
> some virtual state during one of the dissolutions of the universe; you
> know, just enjoying the sights and the sounds; and he accidentally
> falls out of the mouth of Narayana/Krishna who is taking a nap during
> the cosmic time-out.  Of course, Markandeya is now "outside" of not
> only creation but the source of creation Itself.  A total
> mind-boggler.  I forget how it goes from there but he manages to get
> back "in", but lots more enlightened than before. Anyway, the sheer
> confidence that a story like that assumes and the overwhelming nature
> of its imagery and theme just really knocks me for a loop.
>
> Very cool, thanks.
>
> Marek
>
> **
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You
> Think -- Really -- It's A No-Brainer." <DharmaMitra1@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Marek,
> >
> > Thank you for offering this story.  While it is similar to the one
I've
> > heard and read about Narada, it's not the one I'm searching for.
> Instead of
> > rewriting it from what little I remember, I'm searching for an
> > extant well-said version of it to share with others in driving a
> point.  In
> > the one I'm searching for Narada could fly at will and is sent
> around the
> > world and instructed not spill a drop at any time during the
> journey.  He
> > arrives back, speaks of how he did not spill a drop, though focused
> so much
> > on not spilling a drop that he forgot to think about Krishna,
Vishnu or
> > whoever supposedly sent him on the trip.  I've read and heard the
> story told
> > as either Vishnu or Krishna sending him, and one other character
> besides,
> > whose name I don't remember.
> >
> > Katha shastra is always told with specificity to the moment it's
> being told
> > so it's often that the story being told is changed a bit to meet the
> > specific needs of the circumstance at hand.  In the West we may be
> used to
> > stories staying consistently the same all the time and over many
> centuries,
> > a characteristic dating as far back Josephus, in contrast to what
> was more
> > common at the time of morphing stories to meet the needs of the
> moment, as
> > demonstrated in the ever morphing rendition of the Ramayana,
> originally by
> > Valmiki, though modified over the centuries by others.
> >
> > *Of all that anyone leading or teaching has to convey, the most
valuable
> > thing to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience.
Only such
> > persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity. Anything less is a
> menace
> > to society. *
> > **
> > **
> > On 4/30/07, Marek Reavis <reavismarek@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The Yoga Vashishta has the story that sounds similar to the Narada
> > > tea story, and maybe that's what you're thinking of.  In the YV
Vyasa
> > > sends Shukadev to King Janaka for instruction.  Shukadev is kind of
> > > contemptuous of Janaka because he's the epitome of householder life
> > > and Shukadev is "sky clad" and all that.  Anyway, one of the
episodes
> > > has Janaka telling his men to give Shukadev a complete tour of the
> > > whole palace, all the features, etc., etc., but before Shukadev goes
> > > off with them Janaka gives him a cup of milk and tells him to hold
> > > it.  He then tells his men that if Shukadev spills even a single
drop
> > > they are to cut off his head.
> > >
> > > At the end of the day's tour when Shukadev is again brought back
into
> > > the presence of the king, Janaka asks him how he enjoyed the tour.
> > > Shukadev tells him how he couldn't enjoy, or even notice, anything
> > > because all he could do was keep his attention on not spilling the
> > > milk.  So too, says King Janaka, does the enlightened live in the
> > > world, even the sumptuous world of a palace, without being affected
> > > by it, because the enlightened's attention is on the Self.
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Samadhi Is Much Closer Than

Krishna,
> > > tells Narada

> > > have not
> > > seen it on
> > > newsgroup

> > > valuable
Only
> > > such
> > > menace

  • [Fai... new . morning
    • ... authfriend
      • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really -- It's A No-Brainer.
        • ... authfriend
        • ... Rick Archer
          • ... Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You Think -- Really -- It's A No-Brainer.
            • ... Rick Archer
              • ... authfriend
                • ... Rick Archer
                • ... Sal Sunshine