Just for the fun of it, here are a few of the things
that caught my attention this weekend walking the
streets of this Spanish beach town.

* Music Of The Street Kind. I'm a fan of buskers,
musicians who play on the streets and who not only
make a living doing what they love to do, they seem
to have *fun* doing it. I kinda judge any new town
by the quality of its street musicians. Well, lemme
tell you, Sitges rocks. In the courtyard of the
Palau Maricel there is a guitarist obviously well
trained in classical guitar, Flamenco, and jazz,
and he adds chops of his own to create a dreamy
soundscape that just sucks you in, and is very
appropriate when standing in front of a 15th century
Spanish palace. Just up the street you find a guy
and a gal playing some kind of Swiss metal drum
thingy that I've never seen before, but which produces
a rather heavenly percussion sound. It sounds a little
like what might happen if your steel drum got loose one
night and mated with a marimba and these drums were
their kids. Really sweet guy and gal, improvising 100%
of their performance, just bouncing off of each other
musically, having a ball. It was difficult for me not
to have a ball along with them.

* Weird Events Out Of The Blue. So I'm walking down
at the south end of the beach last night around
sunset, and I notice a small crowd milling around,
looking out over the beach wall at the little quai
that juts out into the ocean at that point. Curious,
I walked up and damned if it's not a swimsuit model
photo session in progress. I have to tell you, Edg,
I almost got over my inhibitions about the word "God"
and thanked Him right there. :-) *Very* entertaining.
It was a crew from American Vogue, as far as I could
tell, and they were really doing it up, with four or
five photographers working with ten or twelve...uh...
Major Fashion Magazine Swimsuit Models. I don't think
I have ever seen more walking tributes to the plastic
surgeon's and personal trainers' art in one place in
my life. And it was entertaining to watch the Spanish
guys and gals oggling this whole scene, too. They
seemed as amused by it as I was.

* Clothing Experiments Of The Deeply Disturbed. This
is a beach town known for its liberal attitudes and
its all-night nightclubs. Just walking down the street
you can see someone walk by wearing ten-inch high heels,
a Borat-inspired bathing suit, and a pink feather boa.
And that's just the guys. (Just kidding, but only partly,
because Sitges *is* a big gay mecca.) It's not really
*that* over the top or flamboyant, but there is an
amazingly wide range of creative fashion to be seen
and dazzled by. Later last night I ran into the models
from the photo shoot coming out of a restaurant, and
boy! were they Dressed To Disco. I'll bet a few Spanish
guys had their hearts broken last night, or at the
very least had their standards raised.

* The Smells. Sitges is a fairly small town that continas
well over a hundred restaurants. Every one I've tried is
not just good, but excellent. You walk by their outdoor
terraces and the smells from each restaurant vie for your
affections and for your Euros. You turn the corner and
this aroma hits your nose, and you can't for the life of
you identify all of its ingredients, but it smalls *really*
good, and you know that you're a goner, and if you don't
stop and eat there today, you will someday soon.

* The Touchy-Feely Spanish. You might get the impression
from watching French movies and all those bissous (cheek
kisses) that the French are into touching each other a
lot in public. Au contraire, Pierre. It's almost the
opposite. The French ckeek kisses are very chaste and
formal, whereas the Spanish cheek kisses might just get
you a Wet Willie. The Spanish exchange kisses as well,
both men and women, but they're more "real" kisses and
they supplement them with lots of hugs and hand-holding.
It's kinda neat to see after three years in France. The
tendency to touch and stroke and hug a lot extends to
their children, and I'd bet that Spanish kids grow up
pretty happy and fairly well adjusted as a result.

* The CD and DVD Counterfeiters. They're everywhere.
You'll be walking along a street and look down and this
young guy has a plastic sheet covered with CDs and DVDs.
Curious, you stop to look at them and they're the
*latest* CDs and DVDs, the ones just now appearing in
stores or in theaters. They have covers, printed disk
labels, the whole bit. Counerfeits, but quality counter-
feits. The CDs sell for 2 Euros, the DVDs five. And
when a cop appears in the distance, the guy just whips
up the strings attached to the corners of his plastic
sheet and, like that... (insert Kevin Spacey gesture
at the end of "The Usual Suspects" here)...he's gone.

* The Sidewalk Bars and Cafes. To Die For. The one I'm
sitting in right now writing this is a chiringuito. I've
been told that this term was originally applied to the
clapboard beach shacks that sprang up along the beaches
before everything got all civilized, and sold food and
drink there. This one actually bills itself on its menu
as the "First Chiringuito In Spain." It could have been;
it's construction screams of having been cobbled together
with scrap lumber and discarded windows. These days it
serves decent tapas and sandwiches and salads and more
than decent wines and beers. But the essential concept
is the same now as it was whenever it was built. It's a
comfortable place to sit out of the sun and enjoy a
beverage in the late afternoon while watching the surf
and watching the people stroll by. And maybe, if you
feel so moved, write about it a little.