[ I wrote this yesterday night, but didn't post it
at that time because it didn't seem to "fit" with
the topics being discussed. It still doesn't, but
here goes anyway. If Edg and Curtis can write about
their everyday lives as if they were some kind of
spiritual sadhana, I guess I can, too.  - Unc ]

"The mind is drawn to ever-increasing levels of bliss."
Or something to that effect. That's what the man said.

Those are the first words that Maharishi spoke that
really *resonated* with me, all those years ago in the
Greek Theater in Los Angeles, 1967. For me, a BTDT
hippie searching for a saner path through life than
psychedelics, those words really "caught the wave" of
my life. At 21, I had *done* sex, drugs, and rock 'n
roll, right on the front lines of all three war zones,
and none of them (despite their undeniable charms)
had taken me where they had promised. So I was in
search of Something Else, another goal and path to
focus on to inspire me to keep on keepin' on. And
Maharishi just *nailed* it with that phrase.

In retrospect, I suspect that even at the time, I
"signed on" more to that phrase, and that lifestyle,
than I "signed on" with Maharishi personally. But I
followed the path suggested by that phrase, and him,
and with heart, for fourteen years. And when the
time came when ever-increasing levels of bliss were
no longer found within the TM movement and with
Maharishi, I followed the spirit of what he had
said that day in the Greek Theater in Los Angeles,
even though it drew me away from him.

I followed the bliss, not the man who had told me
about the bliss. And I thank him, in my way, for
being the first person in my life to ever put the
simple truth of "Follow your bliss" into words,
by living the truth of those words in my own life.

I have pretty much *always* followed my bliss. Damn
making sense. Damn tradition. Damn career. Damn what
anyone else thinks of the irrational decisions I am
making. If the decisions lead me in the direction of
greater bliss (in my *own* definition of bliss, that
is, not anyone else's definition), then at this point
I really don't see the percentage in *not* following
the bliss.

Doing so has worked out rather well for me for forty
years now. I've had one phwam! of a life as a result
of following Maharishi's advice about paying attention
to that which seems to offer increasing levels of
bliss.

This is all relevant to me today because yesterday
I signed a lease on an apartment in a beach town
in Spain, and will be moving there in September.
To do this I will be leaving One Of My Best Designs
For Paradise So Far, in favor of another, hopefully
a more evolved design.

I mean, I live right now inside one of my fantasies
from earlier in my life, in a tiny medieval village
where the heretics I am interested in as a writer
and as a spiritual seeker once trod. I live in an
apartment built on the original 10th-century city
walls in an apartment that costs me 450 Euros a
month, and would continue to cost me that for the
rest of my life. That is my agreement with the
Crumbs, should I choose to stay *for* the rest of
my days. That's quite an offer. The village is
wonderful, the offer is wonderful, and the Crumbs
are wonderful, and I'm moving to Spain anyway.
Go figure.

Following one's bliss is all about that ineffable
quality of life that you can't put into words, try
as you might. For me, making this decision, it's
all about silence. How do you put *that* into words?
I stand on the ramparts of Sauve tonight and I feel
the level of silence here, and I marvel at its depth.
And then I take a deep breath and remember the
silence in Sitges...present in the most crowded
chiringuito, in the noisiest nightclub street, or,
moments later, in the deserted square in front of
the 15th-century church, gazing out to sea, and
there is just simply No Question about which level
of silence draws me more.

I've tried my best to fight it. I've taken this
decision through all the sane, rational, intellectual
hoops, and moving to Spain makes no sense at all. It's
folly. But I'm moving anyway, and it's all about the
silence.

The apartment I'll be living in there is on one of
the busiest streets in town, a block from the beach,
and full of crowds at all hours of the day or night.
But step inside the door and close it and miraculously,
the noise of that world just Goes Away and opens into
a pretty wonderful apartment. And then that apartment
opens onto The Garden.

It was The Garden that did it. It's immense, lovely,
private, and with a level of silence in it that is
astounding. I sit in The Garden, only steps away from
the busiest street in a busy beach town, and samadhi
just overtakes me. It overtook me in the real estate
agent's office when I first saw it in a photograph of
the property. The moment I saw that photograph, I knew
I was a goner. Seeing the actual property was like an
afterthought, a formality that I had to go through,
even though the decision had been made. It was that
sudden. Go figure.

So, although it makes no sense at all, I'm walking
away from the way cool situation in Sauve, my current
paradise, and "trading up" to another way cool situation
that beckons more strongly.

It could be a real letdown. I might move there and
realize I've made a terrible mistake. But I don't
think that's going to happen, because the "follow
your bliss" signs are all there. I liked the selves
that danced across my Self when I was in Sitges,
and I'd like to see more of them dancing. I look
forward to many moonlight conversations in The
Garden, under the Catalunya moon, with people
I've met for the first time that day on the
busy, Tantric streets of Sitges.