"And then we run headlong into the question posed by Edg
earler, "isn't everything a drug? (or a meditation?)"."

Yes. Particularly in the sense that particular pharmecutical drugs,
and street drugs (marijuana, ectasy, cocaine, meth, LSD), and common
use drugs (caffeine, alcohol, nicotine) and  meditation, yoga,
exerciee, various foods, particularly polyphenyl rich ones --
including chocolate, various herbs, all have some effect, some havin a
dramatic effect, either on the the level of neurotransmittors, or
mimicing them, and/or influencing the reuptake (essentially the bodily
process in disabling the nuerotransmitttors), and/or receptor
selectivity. To say meditation, natural herbs, yoga organic food
"good", and all drugs "bad" is silly when they can have similar,
parallel or complimentary  neurotransmitor effects. Recognizing some i
not all of the above can have ill side effects, particluarly with long
term use, including meditation in some circumstances, is a wise
approach, IMO.

And while Jim's point about integration is quite valid, it may not be
an absolute. There is nothing precluding some future time-released
drug that balances  and optimizes all the various neurotransmittors --
and tunes the system towards being samadhi ready. With little or no
side effects. It  does not exist now but within 20 years I suggest
regular monitoring of nuerotransmittor functioning will be commn place
-- as well as modalities, including drugs, pushing the frontiers
towards the above integrated optimal, yogic enhancing, samadhi ready
states.

While optimal functioning of GABA, serotonin, dopamine, transmittors
etc,  and anandide and endorphins elements with their corresponding
receptors may not be a sufficient condition for higher states, but it
may well be a necessary one -- or at least near necessary -- or at
least a quite benifical factor. No more bi-polar gurus, or manic or
depressive/angry, AADD  gurus. Whew! What a boon for the world!

And instead of unbalance students going on heavy samdhi binges, with
disabling and dangerous effects for some, only well balanced ones can
/ should / will undertake long, sustained samadhi an yogic type
practices.

And nuerotransmittor pharmacuticals might be tailored for yogic
pursuits. GABA is what calms the mind. I had a GABA enhancer
prescribed for a week or so for something. Remarkable stuff.  The
choppy wavy ocean of thoughts just settles down. Not in a drugged out
way. In a sweet, clear way. Like what some long meditation might do. I
sat and closed the yes and sank almost immediately into a deep clear
state.

Seretonin levels are a core part of compassion. Designer yogic pharms
might up seretonin levels for a period to culture that state.

Dopamine is a core part of inner happiness and even bliss, IMO. Same
idea for yogic designer parms to enance dpamine for a period.

The pharma/yogic path might be to induce via pharms various positive
yogic traits, and then via supplemental practices, culture the nervous
system to sustain that NT level on its own. Its much easier to culture
compassion when living that state deeply, instead of just chatting
about it hoping it comes someday.