Jim,

> I didn't see any negatives in what you wrote about our culture...
> Nor do I see a connection between a tolerant, merciful Supreme
Being > and a strong economy. Perhaps what it does indicate is that
we as
> Americans are exceedingly resourceful at making money, and are
> generally good folks, and it is the "generally good folks" part
that
> brings the favor of the Supreme Being.

I'm paraphrasing a point made from an old English contemplation book
for new monks.  In the book, someone asked why those who are
considered sinners appear to be more successful in material terms
than those who follow the Book.  The answer is the one that I
mentioned above.

Regards,

John R.