You still don't get the most fundamental concept of finance: the time
value of money. Money has a cost. Its like you are renting money. the
"rent" on 120,000 at 6% interest = (6% /12)* 120,000 = $600 / month.
that is not arbitrary. Its the monthly cost on the money you loaned.
You can pay as much byond that as you like to pay down the principal.

You can pay back as much principal as you want AFTER you pay the "rent
(aka interest)due on the loan each month. If you want to pay the
principal down -- and reduce subsequent interest payments, pay 2600
each month. $600 which you owe for renting $120,000 and 2000 principal
pay down. After a year of doing that, you would have 96,000 principal
due, and your interest would fall to .5% x 96,000 = $480.

Study the spreadsheet a little. Look at column D and how the interst
is calculated each month. its 6%/12 * the remaning principal each month.

There is NOTHING arbitrary about this arrangment. If you want your
loan structured so that  interest and principal are equal, then (for a
30 year loan) you would have an interst deficit each month. Just like
past rent due, you eventually have to pay it.

How is that done? The unpaid interest is added to your principal. So
you reduce interest by say $400 each mnth by paying equal principal
and you now owe $400 in past interest due. That will be added to your
principal. You ahve gained nothing except some extra paper work.

If you don't like how banks structure their loans, if you really feel
its a rip off -- why be ripped off (even ifs only all in your mind).
Why not just rent?

You either rent property, or you rent money to buy property. And in
the first case, your landlord rents the money for the property. And
part  of your rent is paying him back for his rent on the money to buy
the house you rent.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "suziezuzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>