--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> On Behalf Of Richard J. Williams
>
> > > I don't think that love and critical faculties are
> > > mutually exclusive. One should never abdicate one's
> > > critical faculties. If a spiritual teacher tells you
> > > to do so, head for the door.
> >
> TurquoiseB wrote:
> > I couldn't agree more, and find the assertion to
> > the opposite -- that one "should" believe that one's
> > spiritual teacher is "perfect" -- very curious indeed.
> >
> This seems to me to be a contradiction in terms - if someone
> has a "spiritiul teacher" it would seem that they would have
> to leave their critical faculties at the door. Otherwise,
> why would anyone want to have a "spiritual teacher" in the
> first place - they could just have a "critical faculties"
> teacher, or take a course in logic at a secular college.
>
> So you're suggesting that critical thinking and spiritual
development are
> mutually exclusive?

In a qualified sense of "in the moment" and "for the (short) time
being", in terms of interacting, being around a teacher, I suggest
that it is -- with more qualifications to come.

One comes to a teacher to have ones boundaries broken. They may use
all sorts of methods to break those boundaries. Methods that may seem
irrational to us. If they all were rational and deducible, one would
figure them out on their own. I suggest that to take full advantage of
a teacher, come with an open mind and heart. Willing to give it a try
for some perioid. Without second guessing and critally thinking and
evaluating each instruction or teachers action.

After some time, or at regular intervals, it IS good to step back and
evaluate how things are going. Are there benefits? Is there a down
side? Are there ethical issues? Is more time spent with this teacher
of value? If so, then go back to total open mindedness for a while.
Then re-evaluate.

A further  qualification is that one can and should use one's critical
facilties, during this "openness period", to better understand the
fine distinctions the teacher may be making.

In most love/surrender relation, critical faculties need to take a
rest at times. When ones spouse is stressed out, venting, worried,
frustrated, etc, saying "you are just being irrational ahd here is
why" may be a true evaluation of the situation. But it often is highly
unproductive at that moment.