--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > <snip>
> > > I know that many people don't like to consider this,
> > > and find some comfort or inspiration in believing
> > > that Christ was NOT human, and that he was somehow
> > > "divine" and the literal Son Of God.
> >
> > Actually, Christian doctrine is that Jesus was
> > *both* fully human *and* fully divine, not one
> > or the other. The belief that he was purely divine
> > and not human is one of the oldest heresies,
> > called Docetism (a later variant was called
> > Monophysitism).
>
> Judy, you are correct regarding the Christian doctrine about Jesus
> being both human and divine.
>
> For some reason, I can't help thinking about the status of Krishna
in
> theological terms, assuming he was indeed a valid historical
figure.
> Since he too was born of a human mother, it is possible to say the
> same thing about Krishna.  But, upon reading the Shrimad
Bhagavatam,
> I would hazard to guess that the Krishna devotees would consider
> Krishna to be divine only.
>
> Nonetheless, I remember reading that Prabhupada believed Krishna
and
> Jesus were one and the same.  From the Hindu point of view, it is
> possible to consider Jesus as another incarnation of Krishna.

What's the line from the Gita, "To protect
the righteous and destroy the wicked, I take
birth again and again"? Something like that.

I'm not actually a believer in either Hindu
or Christian theology. I'm inclined to think
that a human bean who has achieved his or her
full potential is likely to be so extraordinary
that religious people will *assume* he or she
is divine.

> >  I don't find
> > > that inspiring. Where is the impetus for someone
> > > to follow his example if Christ only got to where
> > > he got to, consciousness-wise, because he was
> > > "special." I find inspiration in the idea that
> > > he was Just Another Human, just like me and you.
> > > If he could do the things he did *as* a human,
> > > then so can we. If the only reason that he could
> > > do them was because he was "special," then we
> > > *can't* aspire to doing those things.
> >
> > John 14:10:
> >
> > He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he
> > do also; and greater works than these shall he do.
>
> Bravo!  You do good research.

Thankew!

That saying has always stuck in my mind, though,
so except for the chapter and verse numbers, I
can't really call it research (although at
my age, calling something to mind is often as
much work as research).