TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote: The Coen Brothers' catch phrases are
more on the esoteric side and are NOT likely to become part of the
regular lexicon.  My favorite of theirs is from the movie "Miller's
Crossing" in which everyone in the movie greets everyone else with
"What's the Rumpus?" instead of "how are you?".  After seeing that
movie for the first time, I used it for about a month but people just
thought I was nuts (except for the one or two who had actually seen
the film).

About Turturro, Tur,

I think when Turturro was begging, "Look into your heart..." that that
was one of the most powerful bits of acting ever done in a Cohen film.
 I'll give Turturro most of the credit, but everything about that
moment was pure -- the scene, the characters, the plot.  Very fine.

Then, having shown us the insides of a condemned man's deeply
emotional mind, the Coen brothers then have us see this character
later be so unrelentingly cold hearted when Turturro then goes to try
to kill Gabriel Byrne who had given him the execution reprieve.  I was
so shocked at the two ends of Turturro's character's spectrum shown
suddenly next to each other.

It was the opposite of funny.

Maharishi always said that humor is created by the sudden
juxtaposition of two opposites -- forming a very clear moment when the
"gap" between them rang like a temple bell.  Well, this was the same
thingy, methinks, only instead of laughing, I was shocked mute with
psychic implosion at the sight of the disconnect in Turturro's
character's psychology.

The Coens showed me my naivety in expecting not to be fooled by a
character who could be so duplicitous that not only do the other
characters in the film get duped, but the audience gets duped too.  I
remember feeling betrayed -- but in a good way, a hunk of my
narcissism got ripped off like a bandage that had become enjoined with
the scab underneath.

OUCH!

Edg